Saturday, November 13, 2010

the little red book

Last weekend I was at my favorite used bookstore, McKay, with my friend Jennifer. We were killing time before going out to eat sushi at Sonobana (cherry bomb roll!). While we each browsed in the fiction area, I spied some copies of Madame Bovary (FYI: I pronounce this with a totally pretentious accent like I'm Ted Mosby or something) and pointed them out to Jennifer because I though she had mentioned wanting to read it at some point.

While in a completely different section of the fiction area, Jennifer pointed at a small, red, leather bound book with a worn off title and author and said, "This looks like the kind of book that would drive you crazy if you read it." (I might not be capturing the moment well, but it reminded me how totally friggin' hilarious Jennifer can be. I've been giggling about it all week.) Anyway, I was willing to risk insanity and picked up the creepy little book so that we could see what book it actually was. I flipped to the cover page and discovered that the little red book was...Madame Bovary.

Jennifer decided this meant she should never read Madame Bovary and I'm thinking I need to re-read it soon. I have a feeling I would have a totally different take on it now than I did as a college freshman.

Have any of you read it? As an adult or otherwise?

1 comment:

leahsince1980 said...

I have never read it, but I like your story!! :)