Saturday, March 27, 2010

you can’t win with me (immigration frustration)

Enil has been in Honduras waiting for a decision on his visa for over eighteen months. We found out this week that it is likely to be another seven months before a decision is reached. He and I are both so tired of waiting and being apart. We are beyond frustrated with the possibility of another seven months. Enil has missed two-thirds of Ziggy’s life. He has missed the first tooth, the first step, the first word and countless other moments and milestones.

While Enil has been away, I have weaned Ziggy, gotten depressed, quit my teaching job, and consequently lost dear friends. I have definitely been “consuming” (both material goods and food) more than I am comfortable with for my health and philosophically. I will be so glad to have Enil return, though Ziggy and I have found our groove and it is good. I am so happy to be able to be home with Ziggy doing our thing. It will be weird to go back to making joint decisions again.

I find that holidays and anniversaries are especially disheartening. I know others mean well but I grow weary with giving “Enil updates.” The changes are so few and far between it gets old having nothing to share. On the other hand, I get annoyed when people do not ask about our situation. See, I told you that you can’t win with me. When my friends complain about their boyfriends and husbands, I want to scream, “at least he is here with you!” When they share nice things that were done for them by their boyfriend and husbands, I think, “must be nice.” If you are in my life and think I might be talking about you, I probably am. Please don’t worry about it; it’s my problem, not yours. I want to hear your joys and complaints because I’m your friend. I just need to vent and complain a little. I don’t really want anyone’s pity but sometimes I need to have a little pity party for myself.

I know that once Enil is back, we will quickly forget this time apart, but for now, it’s a pain in the ass. Thanks for listening.

Senators, congress people, legislators, and policy makers: Please do not espouse and tell me about your beliefs in family values when you will not allow policies that could prevent situations like mine.

Ok, enough with the bitching and moaning, spring is here!



7 comments:

Indie Pereira said...

I didn't know you were going through this. I hope your family is reunited soon.

Elissa Pugh said...

Thanks Indie! I appreciate your kind words!

Michelle White said...

Big hug for you! I truly always want to ask but hate to bring up something that might bring you down but I guess you really need to talk about him more.

Amber said...

Elissa, I had no idea you and Enil were apart and had been apart for so long due to immigration red tape. I am so saddened to hear of this for both of you, and dear Ziggy. You have probably heard "hang in there" and "things will get better" a thousand times already, so I won't belabor those sentiments. Just know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy reunion. Let's grab coffee and catch up soon!

Elissa Pugh said...

Thank you Michelle and Amber! I'm always up for asking and coffee :-)

a said...

Elissa, i am so sorry. i worked for an immigration attorney back when i lived in MD and it is a lot of red tape, as you have had the "joy" of learning. i am sorry this is so hard for you and sorry there are no words of consolation that i can give. you are right, sometimes you need a pity party when things just suck. however, i do understand plenty about things being shitty so, if you need to talk, feel free to call, my number is on my blog or on my facebook, i am more than happy to talk, listen and engage in said pity party.

Anonymous said...

Love you Elissa!

~Katherine